Saturday, August 3, 2013

A lot has happened in the past few days, so I'll try and bring you all up to speed. I've successfully finished my first week of teaching speech class. I'm still learning how to teach these kids speech, but I really love being with them. They are hilarious, and full of smiles. Some of the Cugley kids speak ok english, and they help translate to the others who are just beginning to learn. I am getting a crash coarse in Tagalog as well. On Friday I showed them the video of The 3 Stooges teaching the alphabet. The funniest part was some of the kids acted like it was a serious lesson, and if you've seen the clip you realize how ridiculous it is. It was great seeing them really trying to learn the song.

I bought a new ping pong net for the Sankey kids, and since its been up it has been in use constantly. Some of the kids are REALLY good, so I've got to work on my skills so I can beat them. It's super hot here all the time, and needless to say by the end of two or three games I'm dripping sweat. It's been a great way to get to know the kids and their different personalities.

(Quick little story)  I come into the gym where the ping pong table is,and I see this little old Filipino playing with some of the kids. He was beating all the kids pretty bad so I decided to give it a try. After a quick warm up we started playing. I went up 5 nothing, and was super pumped. Then he smiles and switches paddle hands. I felt like I was in the Princess Bride movie. I wasn't able to score another point on him! We played to 25! He was by far the best ping pong player I've ever seen in person. It was crazy!

The Bible studies with the boys have been great.  They are starting to get more involved with the discussions, and that's huge. I've also challenged them to read the whole new testament by reading 3 chapters everyday. I told them it really only takes about 10 minutes a day. I explained how important it is to have God's word in their hearts, and how important for a Christian to know what the Bible says! Hopefully this develops into a lifelong habit in order to enhance their relationship with their real Father.

I had quite a Robinson Crusoe day today. I helped kill and slaughter a pig. Which was awesome! I learned how to skin and de-bone a pig as well as get the ribs out. It's also amazing that they use the entire pig for something. (other than the teeth, and hooves) It's really helped feed my wild side, and now I can't wait to go hunting when I get back to the states. Also today, I helped get coconuts from the trees right outside Toto's house, and proceed to cut them open and drink/eat the insides. The one thing that surprised me is that they only eat the coconut meat when its very thin and has the consistency of jelly. They say when the meat of the coconut gets thick it's too hard to eat. I couldn't believe it cause that's all I've ever eaten, and they won't eat it.

Everything has been great hear so far! Thank you all so much for your prayers! I have no doubt God has heard them and honored them. I have definitely learned to trust God in all things especially in my new surroundings. Love you all, and God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment