Friday, August 9, 2013


I’ve become somewhat accustomed to life here in the Philippines. So far we’ve had a pretty steady schedule, and that has helped out immensely. Though I wouldn’t call myself a teacher, I have learned how to connect with the kids in the classroom. They are all so full of joy it really is contagious, and it makes my job a lot more fun! In class this week we’ve gone over the B and P sounds as well as coming up with our own tongue twisters. Another thing I did this week with the kids was I offered to give anyone 1000 Pisos (about 25 dollars) that could read Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss out loud with no mistakes. The kids got so excited it was so funny. Needless to say no one was able to do it. I even made the same offer to the adults, and no one could do it. It’s so funny to see people try. They always start off like it’s going to be simple, but after a couple of lines everyone messes up.
Today we went out and did some work. I helped built a fence to keep the goats out of the garden. I had a great time using a curved machete to trim the trees that were in the way. The only bad part about it was the ants! They were everywhere, and they were definitely not thrilled to have us in their area. After we finished we played a couple games of outdoor volleyball, and it was a ton of fun. Toto used what he calls his Olympic serve, and was unstoppable.
I got my first taste of riding a motorcycle. It was an automatic so I didn’t have to worry about switching gears, but it was still fun. I’m looking forward to really learning how to ride one.
The devotions with the boys are going well. We’ve switched up the format a little bit to get them to talk more. The first thing, is now one the boys reads the next chapter in the “Measure of the Man” book and leads the discussion. It has really helped their comprehension of the material, and that’s the whole point. The other big change is now the boys speak in Tagalog almost the whole time. I’m able to understand what their saying because, I’ve read the chapter, and Jake helps interpret sometimes. I’m still able to put my imprint on the talks, but this has been much better to get them talking. Also I’ve got them all reading the New Testament now. Though I have to stay on them everyday to make sure they do it, it is so worth the investment that I have no problem staying on them.
Also, today is Michael’s birthday today. Michael is a special needs boy, who like all special needs people, is full of love and life. He is continually helping out doing choirs. He never fails to come up to and give me a hug whenever he sees me. I have a hard time not believing that he is what Jesus is talking about when he said in Mark 10:31 “But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”
If only I could love people as they do!

God Bless



2 comments:

  1. I will pray about your motorcycle "experiences." You know, many in the Kvam-Helm tribe, loathe motorcycles. "Many," but not all. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just caught up on all your posts. Love peeking in. Praying for your time! Eva in Park City

    ReplyDelete