Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Matthew 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”


We went with all the kids to Rizal recreation center on Monday and Tuesday. We had such a great time. There is so much to do there. We played ping pong, volleyball (in the rain), swam in the pool where there is a huge water slide, played basketball, badminton, chess, watched movies, and had an all around good time hanging out. I had so much fun playing with the kids at all the different games. I’m amazed at how good they are at chess. One of the kids, Ronnel, completely destroyed me. It was great to have some good competitive games though, and we had a lot of fun.
            I had to lead devotions one night. For those of you who know me well know that public speaking is not one of my favorite things, but I actually looked forward to talking in front of them. We had a little over 40 people there that I was able to talk to. I shared with everyone my Bible reading challenge that I have given to the boys, and I also challenged everyone there to start a Bible reading plan. I tried to impart how important it is to read the Bible daily because it is God’s word to us, and how it is all applicable to our lives in every situation. Joshua 1:8, Romans 15:4.
            Today, Wednesday, Toto took a few of us to visit one of the churches they built a couple of years ago. It is right on the beach, and because there was a typhoon the other day the people hadn’t eaten in three days. We brought with us about 15 boxes of food for the church to hand out to the surrounding community.
            I was amazed at the poverty of the area. The people live in mostly tiny huts made of bamboo with metal roofs. They make their living by catching fish, but because the water is crazy right now so they can’t do much of that. There were kids all around the beach digging through the sand because they were finding coins that were wasting up on the beach. Seeing the swollen bellies, contrasted by the ever-present smiles was an interesting phenomenon. Though they are dirt poor they always seem to find joy in the little things. It’s hard to explain my feelings because I want to help them so much by giving them things, but maybe they are living the right way with no attachments to earthy goods. Maybe I’m really the one that needs help. It really made me start thinking about helping the poor, and how Jesus kept that issue at the forefront of His ministry. I’m amazed at how loving the poor are. I hope and pray that I can repay their joy with even more.
The preacher of the church made lunch for us, and I’m still amazed. He was honored to have us, and he shared what little he did have with us. We had some Tuna and rice, and I also tried my first squid, which was surprisingly really good.
I can’t get over the happiness of these people. They literally had nothing. Their houses were feet away from the ocean, and in some cases the ocean was slapping up against the bamboo boards of their houses. Yet they were happy with nothing because they have EVERYTHING! They have Christ in their hearts, and their ministry by the beach is as real as any I’ve seen.

Matthew 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment