Thursday, August 22, 2013

Further Thoughts on True Happiness


         I guess I'll get right into it. I believe to obtain true happiness you must know that God sent His Son to die for you personally. Without that knowledge, I believe that self doubt and questions of why will not strengthen you, but will be your undoing. Without John 3:16 as an anchor for our questions in life I don't believe we can find true happiness, but having said that I believe a Christians can also struggle with questions of happiness. I know first hand that deep questioning can bring heartache, but it also brings deeper faith in God. With faith in Christ we are free(er) to question happiness. I have a growing belief that earthly goods bring a shallow happiness, and also bring on the problem of wanting more and more. My favorite Rock and Roll band The Rolling Stones wrote the song "(I can't get no) Satisfaction", and I believe that in their case it's true because they are trying to fill a void with things that only God/Christ can fill. 
         My thoughts on happiness are also inspired by a plaque that was made by A.E. Mitchell. It's the answer to the question, what is the key to happiness? The plaque has the word OTHERS disguised so that you have to figure out for yourself what it says. That's what I see in the poor here. Though they don't have earthly goods they have happiness in each other. Yes, they also don't know what it's like to have things, but my growing feelings are ones that question whether personal possessions should be held in such high esteem in our lives. It is obvious to me that these things are not necessary part of life, but they are a great enjoyment. I also want to make it clear that I also really love having things, but I want to make a concerted effort in my life not to make those things become idols. They (books, movies, and music in my case) have brought me much joy in my life, but they are not the reason for my happiness. I don't think people can find true happiness through these things because there is nothing we can impart or give back to them. Whereas, there is a give and take relationship with people that can bring us happiness. 
         Now, I understand that the majority of the poor are not happy, but I have seen a real contrast here in the Philippines between their poor and the American poor. I believe this is because the poor that I have visited with in the Philippines have been Christians with understanding that they are not "home" in this world. They realize this isn't all there is, which is the exact opposite of the poor in America. The motto "get rich of die trying" is a prevalent view for most of the unsaved poor, and I truly believe that is the exact opposite of how we as Christians are called to live. We, as Christian, are called to not be tied down by the things of this world. In the Gospel of Mark, Jesus says to the rich man, "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come and follow me." I think this verse applies when talking about why the Christian poor here have so much joy, while the unsaved poor back home have little hope. Christ is our hope, happiness, and joy. 
         The Edward Mote hymn "My Hope is Built" says,
         
         My hope is built on nothing less 
         than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
         I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
         but wholly lean on Jesus' name.

         On Christ the solid rock I stand,
         all other ground is sinking sand;
         all other ground is sinking sand.

This is where I believe we receive our happiness. Jesus' blood and righteousness give us our happiness, not our things. Happiness is not necessarily reserved only for the Christians who are poor. To have things can bring joy, but they need to be remembered as only things. They are not the source of our joy, the source comes from the people you share these things with. 

2 comments:

  1. Josh - what an amazing post. I will save this and reference it often. Such a great reminder and you encourage Brady and I so much. Miss you much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    Lynnea sent me your blog link a few weeks ago in an email and I tried to access it from work a couple Of times but the Internet filter blocked me.

    Well I got on it from home tonight and as I began reading I thought you pasted in this amazing devotional from someone like Charles Stanley! ( hope you are not offended by that :) ) When I got to the end and realized you were sharing your thoughts... Well .... I was amazed at what God was doing in your life!!
    I shared it with Karen as well and all she could say was wow! We were both very blessed, inspired and thankful for how God is working in your life as well as using you in the life of others! Our prayer for you will be that our God will continue to give you the strength, courage, wisdom and most of all love for those He's called you to serve.
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Joe Urbanowicz

    ReplyDelete