Thursday, July 25, 2013

I'm really starting to get a hang of things here. Though this week will be different from all my upcoming weeks, it has been invaluable just to observe how life works here. I'm really starting to get to know the kids both at the school and in the orphanage. The names are starting to come with all these familiar faces, and that is a blessing cause nobody likes to be known as hey. the kids and staff here are really amazing and they have helped me so much during my short time here. I'm still trying to pick up bits and pieces of the language, and I hoping to have the basics down in a month or two. The language barrier has been surprising okay. Most of the people here speak at least a little English, and all the other know enough so that we can have a small conversation. My favorite thing about the Philippines so far has definitely been how joyful the people are. Though they are people who go through hard times, they seem to go through them with a constant smile on their faces. to be clear it's not a fake smile either it is a genuine joyful smile. Christ is ever present in their minds, and you can really see that.

I started my small group Bible study with the Sankey boys last night. I'm super pumped about this, cause the older I have gotten the more I realize how important it is to talk about the Lord and His Word. I'm hoping to get as much out of this time with the boys as they do. We are going to be going over the book "The Measure of the Man" by Gene Getz. It's about twenty different characteristics Paul uses in the letters to Timothy and Titus. The book seems to be a great one, and I hope the kids will be able to connect.

Today I got my first practice in with a unicycle. For those of you that don't know when we go on basketball missions trips to the surrounding areas Uncle Tom has developed a halftime show to get the crowds interest peaked. These shows involve juggling, spinning the ball on your finger, dribbling tricks, and the grand finale involves a unicycle. After the show one of the team members gets up and shares the Gospel with the village. I'll put a video of a past show so you guys can see what I'm trying to describe. Anyways, today I've started trying to learn, and I'm now able to stay on for the full length of a basketball court with the help of the wall! So I was pretty pumped.

My prayer request is for these kids, both in the school and at the orphanage. That the Lord will use this place as a safe haven where they can grow in wisdom and strength, especially in their faith in Jesus. I've been able to ride around a little to see the surrounding area, and at times it's pretty rough. So I'm asking if you are praying for me please remember to pray for these kids as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment