Friday, September 13, 2013


Though I’ve only been in the Philippines for a short time I’ve really developed some strong relationships here. God has been so good with providing anything and everything I need. Through the ups and downs I’ve really been able to learn to truly trust God with all things. I’ve always said that I’m just not good at prayer, but I was really challenged by a sermon I heard from my home church, which basically said prayer takes practice. I think of how many hours I’ve spent shooting the basketball compared to how many hours I’ve spent in prayer, and I can’t help but feel ashamed. I now realize that just like anything, practice is all I need. To stop talking about how “I’m just not good at prayer” and actually praying has made such a difference! The Lord listens to all, and I’m finding renewed reassurances all the time. To be convicted to pray my way through the day has really opened my relationship with God to new heights. To trust Him in all things and to have a true conversation with the Lord puts my heart at rest.
I thank God for what He has done for me here, and for all the relationships I’ve been able to establish. This week I was pretty sick. I’ve only been sick a couple times in my life, so this is still a new thing for me. I had about a 106 degree fever, sore throat, headache, and I was dizzy whenever I stood up. The people here were amazing! They helped me through it, and now thanks to God and their help I’m back to normal. I can’t explain how much their love and care for me has meant. They really were there whenever I needed anything. It’s so comforting to know that I have people in my corner that truly care.
Friday the 13th in the year 2013 we celebrated the 13th anniversary of the Sankey Samaritan Home. We had a big dinner with all the boys and girls as well as the staff. We had a fun time just hanging out and talking about various things. Afterward we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, which no matter how many times I see it, it still is a perfect adventure movie.
Quick little story from the anniversary party: The youngest kid here at Sankey, John Paul, is a big Hulk fan. I wear a hulk shirt ever once in a while with a picture of the Hulk on the front, and every time I wear it he asks me the question, Who would win the Hulk vs. (some superhero)? The Hulk always wins, and he loves it. Then he asked, “what about Hulk vs. Samson?” I said Samson cause he has God with him. There was a twinkle in his eyes and he started to smile. Then he said, “What about the Hulk vs. me?” Before I could even answer he said, “I win because God on my side.” I just smiled and said “your right! You would beat the Hulk cause you have God.” He got the biggest smile, and puffed out his chest a little. It was so cute to see him realize with God on your side nothing is impossible. 

3 comments:

  1. So perfect Josh, what a lucky little boy John Paul is to have you mentor him. Glad you are on the mend and staying strong. We pray for you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh-

    Thanks so much for these updates and for the insights and reminders that your experiences provide.

    Such a tremendously important point about prayer takes practice... This is a challenge for me as well, and I am grateful for you sharing.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh,

    So great to hear your heart and journey. Your interchange with John Paul brought tears to my eyes...my how BIG our God is!

    Grace and joy to you my brother!

    Matt Miller

    ReplyDelete